Tree City USA is one of the Arbor Day Foundation’s oldest programs. In order to receive annual Tree City recognition, the following four overarching standards must be met:
- Maintaining a tree board or department
- Having a community tree ordinance
- Spend at least $2 per capital on urban forestry
- Celebrating Abor Day
The City of Anna has been recognized as a Tree City USA for the following years: 1991, 1992, 2020, 2021 & 2022
The City of Anna has received a growth award for the following years: 2021, 2022
Some of the activities that the City of Anna has done as part of their Tree City USA:
- Established a Tree Committee with members that include a certified arborist, City of Anna staff, representation from the USDA Forest Service & a member from a local nursery. The tree committee meets monthly
- Planted 19 trees in the Anna City Park for an annual Gumdrop Drive Event
- Set a goal of planting 100 new trees in the Anna City Park. This was achieved in 2021.
- Created a Tree Code, which can be found in Chapter 37 of the Revised Code of Ordinances
- In the summer of 2022, partnered with Trees Forever and conducted a Tree Survey.
- Began a Tree Identification Course which runs concurrent with the 18-hole disc golf course
- Participated in the “Adopt a River Mile” program through Living Lands and Waters for the first 1.5 miles of the Cache River
- Annually a tree planting is done for Abor Day, in honor of the AJCHS Graduating Class, & Veteran’s Day
- In 2022, handed out 600 trees to all students at Anna District 37 in honor of Abor Day
- Plans are in the works for an annual planting on city property for future propagation and replanting on City streets where current mature trees will need to be replaced. These varieties would include strong, slow growing trees such as oak and sugar maple.
For more information on the program click here.